President Kalam outlined the concept of PURA - Providing Urban amenities in Rural Areas.
So what would qualify as the "Urban amenities" that we need to provide in rural areas? To answer this, I asked myself what would make me consider moving to a rural area and working from there. Here's my list (not in any particular order)
- Decent power supply
- Decent housing facilities (with potable water supply, drainage, sanitation etc.)
- supply of basic groceries and provisions
- Good schooling for children (from Kindergarten through to Class XII)
- Good healthcare, hospital infrastructure and pharmacies
- Internet access (decent quality and bandwidth at a reasonable price)
- Good network of roads and a good transport service to be able to get to the nearest rail head/airport.
- Good banking network (branches and ATMs)
- Good electronic communication network (landline and mobile)
- Good physical delivery network (Post office, courier etc.)
- Some recreation facilities (Cable TV, playgrounds, movie/concert halls)
This is a simple list from an individual's perspective. I willexpand on this list looking at it from the point of view of businesses, as well as looking at what is already in place and what needs to be done to be able to provide urban amenities in rural areas